Saturday, January 23, 2010

Love you to the Moon...

Back when we were first dating, my husband gave me a book on the moon for my birthday. It's filled with gorgeous photos, but the very best part about it is the inscription he wrote inside the front cover: "I'll love you to the moon and back." There was more to it than that, of course, but that was the phrase that stuck in my head.

  

When I saw ching chou kuik's Red Hearts by Sweet Pea Stamps, it immediately made me think of that book, so I decided to use it on a Valentine's Day card for my husband.



The image was colored with copic markers as usual. I wanted to do something a bit different for the background, so I randomly scribbled on color with a R81 and my custom pale YR21* (I have two of these - this one was the darker of the two). I then used my custom pale R81* and custom super pale YR21* to blend the darker shades together. After I was finished with that, I dotted the whole thing with the copic colorless blender pen to give it an interesting texture. Note that you don't have to be too precise when coloring because the clolorless blender pen hides any less than perfect areas. I really like the effect, so don't be surprised if you see it again with different color combinations.


I always get asked about my custom markers, so I did a color comparision swatch for you so you can see the difference between the original copic color and my custom blends.

 

*The formula's for my custom pale markers are as follows:
pale YR21: 5cc's blender fluid + 80 drops YR21 refill
super pale YR21: 5cc's blender fluid + 30 drops YR21 refill
pale R81: 5cc's blender fluid + 35 drops R81 refill

Challenges participated in with this card:
Charisma Cardz #3 - fruity colors (raspberry, banana, and blueberry)
Crafty Creations #51 - Valentine's or Love
Creative Card Crew #43 - punch it (Martha Stewart Lace Heart punch)
Midnight Madness #37 - sketch (MMSC37)
A Spoonful of Sugar #87 - Lots of Layering
Copic Buzz Weekend Technique #1 - using your blender pen to create texture
Simon Says Stamp - punch it! (Martha Stewart Lace Heart punch)

Thanks for stopping by!

20 comments:

Sally said...

Stunning card. Your coloring is gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Charisma Cardz.

Rose said...

your card is wonderful and your coloring is awesome, thanks for joining us on crafty creations this week :)

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Melissa - oh my giddy aunt - this is just gorgeous! I love that image, but your colouring - AMAZING!! Love the light and shade you have achieved and the richness - gorgeous! Great use of the sketch Melissa - definitely a favourite with me! Thanks for playing along with the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge this week, we love to see your cards. We look forward to seeing you again next week! {{{hugs}}}
Linda MMSC Design Team

Priscilla said...

Hi Melissa, you are so romantic and sweet to make this for your hubby. It really is over the top beautiful :)I love your coloring on it..I just took a Copics class and you are really good at working those pens ;) The glitter on the moon is perfect too. Well done with the sketch and Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your talent with us :)
Priscilla
MMSC Hostess

Phyllis said...

AWESOME image and gorgeous coloring!! Love that moon!! Beautifully done!! The MMDesign Team thanks you for playing along with us this week.

Phyllis MMDesign Team

Jana M. said...

Melissa, you card is so beautiful! Thanks for joining our weekend technique challenge on Copic Buzz. And thank you for the 'recipe' for the pale colors.

Shazza said...

stunning card, I love the image and your colouring is amazing
x

Carol Hurlock said...

Melissa, what a treat to see this gorgeous card and read the wonderfully romantic story about your DH. You are truly blessed artistically and in your personal life. What a beautiful card, colored perfectly with just the right amount of glitz. Thanks for taking the time this week to join us in the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge. We would be thrilled if you joined us again next week as we love to visit and view your work.

Bear hugs,
Carol :o}
Midnight Madness Design Team

Allison said...

such a pretty card
Thanks for joining us at Charisma this week
AllisonX

Linanna DESIGNS said...

hELLO mKELISSA, wow what a totally stunning card, i have not seen these designs before, and have now just gone over to the site to look at the stamps!! wow, wow wow, totally gorgeous, i have had to buy some. You are very naughty leading me into temptation!!! i love this card and the colours you've used, thank you for joining in with the CCC challenge this week and for highlighting these designs. Looking forward to seeing more, hugs Linda x

Micki said...

Absolutely stunning! I love the reds and the glitter.... but the sentiment works soooo well with this image. Totally love it :-)

Jeni C Slack (^0^) said...

WOW, Melissa, your colors are GORGEOUS. Very well done on the sketch! Your detailed explanations on the pale custom colors has peaked my interest. I will have to try to mix that color for myself. Both are wonderful. I'm so glad you shared your talent with us this week and hope to see more! xox ~Jeni & MMSC DT

Vee said...

Stunning image beautifully coloured. Amazing card!!Thanks for playing with Charisma this week.
xx Vee

Beth S said...

Hi Melissa. Wow the colouring on this image is outstanding. Glad I found you.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow! This is incredibly beautiful! Your coloring is stunning!!! Thanks for playing along with the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge!

Saskia said...

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations with your LOVELY work!
We'll have a great blog-hop tomorrow... I hope you'll join us! :)

Greetings, Saskia

Lorraine A said...

Fabulous card Melissa :-) I love this image ,., she is beautiful and I love the colours you used ,, fantastic background too ! ;-)

thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp challenge :-)

Luv
Lols x x

Priscilla said...

Congratulations :)

Christina C. said...

Melissa.....your card is breathtaking! What a beautiful image and you colored her to perfection!

Christine Riley said...

What a stunning card! Amazing coloring and I love your story.
Hugs, Christine

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog design and header created by Melissa Earnest.
Background paper by Pink Petticoat.