Friday, March 13, 2009

One layer card



I'm sure you are saying to yourself, "what's up with the bird photos?" LOL. Well, let me tell you. I took these a few years ago from my mother-in-law's kitchen window. She loves hummingbirds, and has up to 20 of them that visit her feeders each year. Her birthday was this week, so these photos served as my inspiration for her card. What do you think?


I decided to try something a little different this time around, and did a card with just one layer. I used Papertrey select cardstock for my card base and embossed it using an oval Nestability in my Cuttlebug. Before removing the die, I sponged SU Soft Sky ink in the center to add more dimension to the card. I love how it gives the look of layers without the bulk.

I specifically snagged this image off of the pif threads on SCS a while back to make her card. I don't remember the name of the stamp, sorry! I used two of the images for the card, both of which were colored with copic markers. The first image was colored in completely, carefully cut out, and glued to my card base. The second image only had one wing and the flower stamen colored. I cut them out, and then layered them over the first image with 2-way glue and pop dots to add dimension. Doesn't it look like the wings are moving as the hummingbird hovers over the flower?

Those of you who have been lucky enough to see a hummingbird in person know that their feathers have this gorgeous iridescent sheen to them. To try to recreate that effect, I went over the hummingbird with a clear atyou Spica marker. If you click on the image of the full card, you can see how much it sparkles. And best of all, it dries instantly, unlike my Sakura gelly roll pen that I always manage to smear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. My mom loves hummingbirds too. Our neighbor has an orange tree and when it blossoms (the flowers) we get hummingbirds. They are beautiful. The tree is right outside my bedroom window and overgrows the wall. So they get really close to my window. I've tried to snap a few pics but never can catch them.

We also have peacocks in our neighborhood. And they walk on the wall as well. Once we had a male and female and he opened his plummage (I think that is what it is called) and it was a sight. I was able to snap a picture but it is buried in my storage boxes. When I unpack I will post it for you.

I know your MIL will love the card. It is great!

http://acraftynutter.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

Stunning work ;O)

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful. The little details really add to this card. I too love hummingbirds.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog design and header created by Melissa Earnest.
Background paper by Pink Petticoat.